Using Home Staging to Sell Fast and for Top Dollar

by Chris Lang on March 22, 2012

The Art of Home Staging

Home Staging isn’t a new concept, but with real estate booming for years in Australia many homeowners have never heard of it. However now, as property market is continuing its weakening trend, home staging is becoming increasingly popular. More and more home sellers realise the need to transform their houses, to avoid spending months on the market or compromising on the sale price.

What is Home Staging?

Home Staging is about creating a fairytale for the buyers. Staged homes look bigger, brighter, more inviting, they have this wow factor that make the buyers want to buy them.

Home staging is not about making repairs or giving your house a coat of fresh paint – it is the art of entering a cluttered, dated home and re-arranging, replacing or adding the furniture and accessories in a way that showcases the use – and the potential! – of every room in the best possible way.

Home Staging: before and after

Home stagers are the masters of design. They aren’t just interior decorators – because decoration is a matter of taste and personality, whereas the goal of Home Staging is to highlight all the great features of a property to attract the widest range of buyers.

Does Home Staging really work and why?

One reason why Home Staging works is that people buy on emotion. A house that has the “move-in-ready” appearance will sell quicker and for a higher price than a house that appears dated, cluttered, and requiring work. Buyers nowadays are busy and will avoid labour-intensive houses if they can.

Home Staging: before and after

Another reason is that a staged home will look better than other listings. The negative feedback from buyers will be minimised, and that way buyers will have less “ammunition” in negotiating the price down. Also, because of the improved look, your property will attract more buyers, and your chances of finding “the one” will be maxmimised.

Yet another reason is that only 5-10% of people can imagine what your house would look like without the clutter. The other 90% can’t picture themselves living in your home, they overlook the possibilities it has to offer. And if your property is vacant, it’s difficult for the buyers to appreciate the size of the rooms without furniture – or even what they could be used for.

Would you consider using Home Staging for your property, and why?

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Chris March 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hi everyone – take our poll on Facebook and tell us what you think about home staging, go here


Soo March 31, 2012 at 3:17 am

I’m in the U.S. and struggling to sell my home – interesting read on Australia’s need for home staging services’ growth! I’d be curious to know if staging services are more/less affordable in Australia than in the U.S. A couple have been recommended to me by my realtor and on average, charge between $60-$90/hour (at least in my neighborhood).


Chris March 31, 2012 at 8:03 pm

This looks rather cheap compared to Aussie prices 🙂 an initial consultation here can cost over $150.


JamesShillings April 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Home stagers in Australia are very expensive. But if you’re dedicated to selling can be a wise investment.


{ 3 trackbacks }

Cancel reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: